I’m sure you’ve heard many times already the advice to write down your goals. But does it really work?
Study shows that men and women who are able to vividly describe their goals in written form are more likely to successfully accomplish their goals than those who don’t. But why does writing your goals help? I think it’s important to know since it does take a little more effort to write it down than just storing it in your brain.
When you write things down, you’re actually doing 2 things which is having external storage and encoding of data you need. External storage is simply having your information in your goal stored in another location like in a piece of paper for easy access or retrieval and for review at any time you need it. It actually helps you to remember something when you can be reminded of it everytime you see it. Now when we write things down, we get to encode it in our brain that it gets stored in our long term memory so that there’s a much greater chance for us to remember it.
According to neuropsychologists, individuals demonstrate better memory for materials they have generated themselves than those they’ve merely read. And this is why you get a nice edge when you write down your goal. When you first generate your goal, you’re able to create a picture of it in your mind. Then when you write it down, you’re essentially re-processing or regenerating the image again. You literally rethink your mental picture, put it on paper, place objects, scale them and etc so that there’s a lot of cognitive processing taking place right there which sears your goal into your brain.
Now according to studies made, here’s what actually happens when you write down your goal:
- It allows you to visualize success. When you write down your goals, you’re able to clearly see the outcome of your desires. Writing down your goals enables you to clearly identify what to focus your time, money, effort and resources on. This way, you’re able to focus on what truly matters to you that increases your chance of success in getting what you want and achieve your goal.
- It helps you track your progress, Since you have it down on paper, you can be able to review it anytime and see how far you’ve gone already towards achieving your goal. This reminds you the next action steps you need to do as well.
- It helps you prepare your life. When you have your goals written down, you can easily refer to it when assessing your life’s situation whether you’re having opportunities or challenges along your way that needs to be addressed.
- It helps motivate you. Writing your goals and spelling them out with a step-by-step breakdown is the next best thing to having a life coach that cheers you on everyday. It increases your motivation to actually start acting on your goals.
- It helps you form a new mindset. Your written goals help you turn your great ideas, hopes and dreams become your reality. You’re able to achieve success faster and more efficiently with less stress when you can see, hear, touch, taste and smell your goals This helps you have a new mindset and makes your mind more efficient by helping you focus on the truly important stuff. Yes and indeed, your goals are truly imporant stuff.
If you’re like most people, you probably feel overwhelmed with the thought of writing down your goals. But consider this. Knowing where you want to go and creating a plan for how to go there is how smat people navigate through life. If you don’t have time to write down your goals, when will you find time to accomplish them? Remember, your dreams start to manifest the second you write them down. So what are you waiting for? Write them down now!